Thursday, September 8, 2011

Football Cake

My neighbor just turned 15 and he is on the freshman football team at school. I have been making all kinds of cakes, but they have all been with flowers and girly stuff...so I had to come up with something that a 15 year old boy would like.... thus the football cake!

I made two 9 inch round cakes and leveled them at the lowest notch on my cake leveler. I did that so that the base wouldn't be too tall and look silly with the football cake on top of it...and so that I could put frosting in the middle of the two layers, who doesn't like lots of chocolate fudge frosting!? And on a chocolate cake!! MMMMM tasty!

I frosted the two layers like I would with a normal cake with chocolate fudge frosting.

Then I made a cake in a 9x9 square cake pan and used this one for the football on top. I carved the shape of a football and cut some off of the top so the football would look proportional to the base of the cake. Make sure that your cake is completely cooled before you start to shape it- or else it will fall apart!

I then placed the football on top of the round cake and frosted the football with the chocolate fudge frosting as well. This took a couple of coats to keep all of the crumbs out of the top coat.

I used vanilla frosting and start tip 18 to make the laces and the ends of the football. I also used star tip 18 and the vanilla frosting to pipe stars around the bottom of the football- just so the football didn't get lost in the base of the cake.

I then used the grass tip and green frosting to make the grass around the bottom of the football.

It was so fun to make and he really enjoyed the cake with all of his friends for his birthday :)

I also used all of the excess cake (since I had to carve the cake and level the round cakes) and made a lot of cupcake pops!! No need to waste any cake, right!?

2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic, Tam!!! Way to go! New idea for the upcoming fall...make a pumpkin looking cake out of your bunt pan! You'll have to make a big steam coming out of the middle with some sort of green frosting. I'm sure you may have a trick for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are SOOO awesome Kali!!! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete