Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cake Decorating - Part 1

I love to bake... and have thought about taking the cake decorating classes that Michaels and Hobby Lobby offer, but just never got around to it. Well, since we moved to Cedar Park, I have a little more time on my hands and have started the Basics level cake decorating class! My best friend growing up, Courtney, is taking it with me! :) We were best friends until I moved away in 8th grade and haven't seen much of each other in the last 12 years...but now we only live 20-30 mins apart! So we have ventured into taking the basics level cake decorating class together.

We are first working on making "stars."

There will be more to come! I am going to try to make a cake today and see how I can decorate it using the star technique that we learned. I mean, that's pretty basic, but I gotta practice!

I also tried making some sugar cookies using Royal Icing to decorate them. I colored the icing and was just playing around, and this is how they turned out:

The icing wasn't thick enough, so it ran some, but they still tasted great! The cookies with the icing tasted like those cookies you get in the fancy cookie bouquets. And making the Royal Icing is simple.

Royal Icing Recipe:
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (you can use the lemon juice that comes in a bottle)
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted - add a little more if you think it needs to be a little thicker

In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice. Add the sifted powdered sugar andbeat on low speed until combined and smooth. This will usually take about 5-7 minutes of beating to get it the right consistency. The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when it is exposed to air.

And that's all! It's super easy, just have to make sure to keep it covered when you're not using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment