Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Longhorn Graduation Cake


I know...I know... It's a TU cake...but it was for a friend's graduation-so I was ok with it...I guess lol. My friend, Kimberly, and I grew up in Bedford together until my family moved to San Antonio in 8th grade. My husband, Dawson, and I just moved to the North Austin area a couple months ago and Kimberly was going to grad school at UT. She just finished up school and had a graduation celebration for friends and family and she asked me to make her cake! What a blessing! Of course, I had to use burnt orange and white (thought about making the center icing maroon so she wouldn't know until she cut into the cake!)...but thought I better not since it's her day and all :) The cake was a chocolate cake with buttercream frosting, her choice. It turned out moist and delicious! All of the decorations are of fondant/gumpaste mixture. I had to create my own "cookie cutter" for the longhorn...I didn't like any of the longhorn cookie cutters at the stores, they were too defined in shape and didn't look like the UT longhorn. I printed one off the computer that I liked and cut it out and traced that onto my fondant...pretty easy! I made the fondant ribbons on the front and back and then wrote on them with the buttercream frosting before I put them on the cake. It was a challenge to make a LONGHORN cake, but I enjoyed the process of it!

Here is the back of the cake..you can see a little more detail of the graudation hat on top :)


I think it turned out pretty well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment